Unit responsible for the care and use of scientific research murine models. The team is composed of a veterinarian and a bioterista. UMA supports research from the Foundation promoting ethics in animal use and well-being, controlling from start to finish each of the experiments that are conducted.
Currently the unit has a conventional accommodation room, approved by the Ethics Committee of the Faculty of chemical sciences and pharmaceutical U. Chile and a procedure room.
This unit includes:
– Care of animal models and conventional accommodation room
Enables the lodging of mice with a strict control of variables macro and micro-environmental. Daily care and accommodation service accompanies the researcher in all aspects during the development of an experiment. The hosting service also offers the following:
- Accommodation in metabolic cages (24 hours)
- Individual identification (eartag, earpunch, dyes)
- Weighing (animal, food, etc.)
- Administration of substances (p.o., i.p., e.v.)
- ipTTG and measurement of blood metabolites
- Diets according to requirement management (HFD Research Diet 60% available and diet paired control Research Diet)
- Daily training according to requirement (treadmill, measurement of PA, conscious echocardiography, etc.)
– Procedures room
This room is intended for the realization of greater complexity in animal surgical and non-surgical procedures. It boasts latest equipment to support the requirements of the research.
Available equipment and routine procedures:
- Surgical table with mechanical ventilation
- Inhalation anesthesia (supplements)
- Trinocular and moving light Magnifier
- Ultrasound, with or without anesthesia. Echocardiograms are routinely performed to estimate cardiac functionality. This service has the option to be made portable so
- System for non-invasive measurement of blood pressure (System NIBP Harvard Apparatus)
- Treadmill (6 lanes for mouse, 3 rat; adjustable inclination)